Part-Time Employment

Students seeking part-time on-campus employment should contact Financial Aid on the Alva Campus (Room 113, Herod Hall) or on the Enid Campus.  The two basic categories of student jobs available are: "E&G" (Education & General) and "Federal Work Study." 

If you have not already completed a part-timers' job application form (in Word format), please do so right away so you can be considered for a part-time position.  If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, you may prefer to print the job application form in .pdf format.  Fill it out in ink, or type the information.  Both forms must be signed before they are submitted to the hiring supervisor.

The Career Services Office on the first floor of the Fine Arts Building, on the Alva Campus, maintains a list of available part-time jobs and job descriptions.   They help match potential workers with hiring supervisors.

Sometimes individuals are hired into a third category of employment.  "PTS" (Part-Time Staff) members are employed on an emergency, temporary basis.  (Part-Time teachers are referred to as "Adjunct Instructors.")  Non-student PTS and Adjunct Instructors are able to participate in NWOSU's 403b tax-deferred annuity program by filling out the necessary paperwork in Human Resources, Room 101 of Herod Hall on the Alva Campus.  Call 580-327-8530 for more information about how you can set aside money on a before-tax basis today, and enjoy a better retirement income someday!

Universal Availability Notice (You may be eligible!! Call 580-327-8530 for more information if you are hired into a non-student position, and want to contribution via payroll withholding to a 403b tax-deferred retirement annuity account administered by Lincoln Financial Group on behalf of RUSO (Regional Universities System of Oklahoma), our university's governing board.)


This institution, in compliance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable federal laws and regulations, and to the extent required by law, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures.  This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, and educational services.  Inquiries concerning the application of these programs should be made to Calleb Mosburg, Dean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, Northwestern Oklahoma State University, 709 Oklahoma Boulevard, Alva, OK 73717, (580) 327-8415. 

Students may want to view the Student Workforce Power Point presentation for further instructions on how to join the workforce at Northwestern.

Human Resources/Payroll Services and Policies

Before joining the NWOSU student work force, each new hire is required to provide the Human Resources (Room 102) with the following:


The IRS has an online calculator you can use to determine the appropriate number of allowances to declare on your Form W-4.

The Social Security number must be verified before the individual can be paid. Prospective employees who do not have a Social Security card should go to a Social Security Office to apply for one.  This process can be handled by mail.

Once the required payroll papers are completed, the part-time employee is not required to return to Human Resources/Payroll  unless there is a change in marital status, address, number of exemptions ("allowances") (to be claimed for income tax withholding purposes), or in Visa status (for international students).  If there is a break in service of more than 3 years, the student will want to contact Human Resources to make sure all information is up-to-date.

Each time a student is placed in an office or department, he or she will be asked to sign a Confidentiality Agreement in order to protect confidential information.  Violation of the agreement subjects the student to discipline procedures up to, and including, discharge. 

Northwestern's part-time employees are an integral and essential part of our workforce, and as such they are encouraged to visit Human Resources/Payroll, or call 580-327-8530, 8531, or 8175, if they have any concerns or questions about how their pay was processed.  Human Resources/Payroll staff welcome the opportunity to explain pay stubs and the regulations of the Social Security Administration, IRS, Homeland Security, Office of Personnel Management, and Oklahoma Tax Commission, as they apply to payroll. 

Financial Aid Services

Student workers and their supervisors should be aware of the following official policy of the Financial Aid office:

Each student may need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and turn in all required paperwork to the Financial Aid Office for review.  This application process must be performed each academic year.  Total processing and review time will take approximately five (5) weeks.

Student workers will be assigned Federal Work Study and/or E&G (state funds) by the Financial Aid Office.  The student filing a FAFSA will receive this information on an award letter.  This document must be accepted, signed, and returned to the Financial Aid Office.  If the student accepts the work offer, AND has not been on the University payroll in the last three years, he or she must complete paperwork in the NWOSU Human Resources Office.  Each student is responsible for making sure all necessary paperwork is on file in the Human Resources/Payroll Office, located in Room 102, on the first floor, west wing of Herod Hall.  Individual time sheets cannot be processed until all signed forms are on file.  The Human Resources/Payroll Office will issue a clearance slip to the student to take to the Financial Aid Office.  (Workers in Enid should go to the Enid Campus Financial Aid Office--in Woodward, see the Campus Dean's Office.)

At this point the student will be issued a Work Agreement.  The agreement is to be completed by both student and supervisor.  The white copy is to be returned to the Financial Aid Office, the pink copy will be retained by the supervisor, and the student will keep the yellow copy.  Supervisors should never work a student until the signed Work Agreement is on file in the Financial Aid Office. 

Each student is awarded a specific dollar amount that they can work during the semester/year.  This dollar amount cannot be exceeded.  The maximum number of hours any student can work per week is 15 hours.  The official workweek runs from Sunday through Saturday.

Each department on campus is issued a set dollar amount of Work Study and/or E&G funds for the fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).  Each supervisor is responsible for monitoring not only the student's dollar eligibility but also the department budget amount.  Minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour.  

Employees must be at least 18 years of age to work on campus.  Exceptions to this policy must be cleared through the office of the Vice President for Administration.  Verifying the student age is the responsibility of the supervisor prior to making a job offer.

Supervisors cannot employ immediate family members.  However, a family member can work for another supervisor at NWOSU.

Any transfer of funds between departments must be in writing and approved by the Financial Aid Office.  Any work performed by students during periods of non-enrollment (during breaks..."the interim") must be approved in advance by the Financial Aid Office.  Students must be enrolled at least half-time in order to work.  For Financial Aid purposes, this is defined as six (6) hours during the fall, spring, and summer semesters for undergraduates.  For approved masters degree students, five (5) hours in the fall, spring, and summer semesters is considered half-time enrollment.

Please feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office at 580-327-8540 if you have any questions.  You may also correspond by e-mail with NWOSU's Financial Aid Director:

The Career Services Office, first floor Fine Arts Building, helps match hiring supervisors with students seeking campus jobs.  A job description is available for all student work positions on campus.

Part-time workers (E&G, Work Study, and PTS) must submit their monthly time sheets before the official deadline in the Human Resources Office. Please consult the Part-time Employee Payday Time Schedule for each month's deadline.

    Excel Part-time Time Sheet FOR WORK 7-1-09 OR LATER.    Due to increase in minimum wage, hourly wage increased from $6.55 to $7.25 per hour.


Q: My supervisor only lets me work 8 hours per week. Why can't I have the maximum student workers are allowed--15 hours?

A: Not only are supervisors responsible for monitoring the worker's total dollar eligibility, but they must also stay within the department's budget amount.

Q: Can I work during the break between semesters?

A: Any work performed by a student during breaks must be approved in advance by the Financial Aid Office.

Q: What withholdings will I see coming from my paycheck?

A: In most cases, a student working under an E&G or Federal Work Study Work Agreement will be exempt from FICA (Social Security tax). However, there are instances when FICA must be withheld and remitted to the Social Security Administration. (Contact the part-timers' payroll officer at 580-327-8175 for more details.)

Your Form W-4 will guide the Payroll Office in calculating the proper amounts to withhold for Federal and State of Oklahoma income taxes.

Q: Will I receive a W-2  at the end of the Calendar Year?

A: Yes. The Oklahoma Office of State Finance will send the Human Resources/Payroll Office a Form W-2 for you at the end of next January to be mailed to your address on file in the Human Resources/Payroll Office. Make sure you advise Human Resources/Payroll of any address change during your employment and after you leave.  (The NWOSU Registry Office must be notified separately by you.)  Each student is responsible for filing the necessary tax forms with the IRS and with the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Q:  Can I contribute to the Oklahoma Teacher's Retirement System while employed in a student job at Northwestern?

A:  This type of employment normally does not qualify for our retirement program.  If a student is actively contributing to the System in a job other than at NWOSU, he or she should immediately contact the Human Resources Office at 580-327-8530 for more instruction.  The System may, in extremely rare instances, require contributions from the student employment at NWOSU, based on active participation status at another OTRS employer.  Due to recent changes in Social Security regulations, anyone receiving a retirement pension based on work (wholly or partially) in a position exempt from Social Security withholding, can expect to have their Social Security old age/survivor/disability benefit greatly reduced because of the pension benefit. 

Last Updated: 4-15-11

Questions should be directed to:
NWOSU Human Resources Office
709 Oklahoma Boulevard
Alva, Oklahoma 73717
Phone: 580-327-8530 or -8531 or -8173
Back to Payroll Home Page
Go to Part-time Employee Payday Time Schedule Page