Dec. 8, 2006
Volume 3, Number 14
Signs may be picked up
in Vinson Hall 109.
On Tap at Northwestern
* Dec. 9, ACT (National Test Day) 7:30 a.m., Education Center
* Dec. 9, Ranger basketball at University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, women at 3 p.m., men at 5 p.m., Chickasha
* Dec. 10, Fall Commencement, 4:30 p.m., Percefull Fieldhouse
* Dec. 11, Alva Chamber of Commerce Board meeting, 11:30 a.m., Ranger Perk
* Dec. 11, Senior Staff meeting, 8:30-noon, Wyatt Room
* Dec. 11, President's Leadership Class, 4 p.m., Regents' Conference Room
* Dec. 14, Woods County Retired Educators Association, 11:30 a.m., Ranger Perk, Ranger Room
* Dec. 16, Ranger men's basketball at Newman (Kan.) University, 5 p.m., Wichita, Kan.
* Dec. 29-30, Ranger men's basketball at Grand Canyon Classic in Phoenix, Ariz.: Dec. 29 - vs. Biola (Calif.) University, 6 p.m.; Dec. 30 - vs. Bellevue (Neb.) University, 8 p.m.
* Jan. 4, Ranger basketball at Oklahoma City University, women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m.
* Jan. 6, Ranger basketball vs. Oklahoma Baptist University, women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m., Percefull Fieldhouse
* Jan. 8, Spring semester classes begin
* Jan. 11, Ranger basketball at John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Ark., women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m.
* Jan. 13, Ranger basketball vs. Oklahoma Christian, women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m., Percefull Fieldhouse
* Jan. 15, Martin Luther King Day
* Jan. 16, Ranger basketball vs. University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m., Percefull Fieldhouse
* Jan. 18, Ranger basketball at St. Gregory's University, women at 6 p.m., men at 8 p.m., Shawnee
* Jan. 19, NWOSU Alumni Basketball game, women's game 6 p.m., men's game 7:30 p.m., Percefull Fieldhouse
* Jan. 20, Hall of Fame Banquet, 11:30 a.m., Student Center Ballroom
* Jan. 20, Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies, halftime of Ranger men's basketball game vs. Southern Nazarene University, tipoff at 4 p.m.
Submissions may be sent via e-mail to University
Valarie Case, Lois Hudgins or Christine Fry (office intern).
"On the Record @ Northwestern" is a weekly e-mail
newsletter created by the University Relations Office to help keep
Northwestern employees aware of what’s happening on the Northwestern
Northwestern’s on the Web!www.nwosu.edu
December 8, 2006
incentive package to transferring students
A one-time only offer is being made to students at other colleges and universities who are thinking about transferring to Northwestern Oklahoma State University.
Those students who transfer for the spring 2007 semester will be eligible for up to $1,000 in a special incentive package, said Brad Franz, dean of student affairs and enrollment management.
December 6, 2006
continue at Northwestern
Theatre director asking for paper tubes, tissue paper Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! will come sweapin’ onto the campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University April 25-28, 2007, as part of the university’s observance of the State of Oklahoma’s Centennial Celebration, as well as the school’s 110th anniversary. A special matinee performance also is scheduled prior to the annual Alumni Reunion on April 28.
More than 80 current students, employees, alumni and friends of the university will be involved in one way or another in the campus production before the curtain opens on the beloved musical.
The university’s music and theatre programs are coming together to produce this Pulitzer Prize-winning show. Read more...
December 5, 2006
at Sunday's fall commencement
Northwestern Oklahoma State University graduate and former Alva resident Tom Gruber will be the guest speaker at the university’s fall commencement ceremony at 4:30 p.m., Sunday in Percefull Fieldhouse.
Gruber now is first assistant attorney general of the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office. Before being appointed to that position, he served as the chief deputy attorney general in the Criminal Division. Read more...
December 1, 2006
Tom Gruber, first assistant attorney general of the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office and a 1970 Northwestern graduate, will be the guest speaker. A reception for graduates, families and friends will be held in the Student Center Ballroom immediately following the ceremony.
Nine of those receiving bachelor’s degrees will graduate with honors. Students with cumulative grade point averages between 3.70 and 3.79 are designated cum laude, those with GPAs between 3.80-3.89 are magna cum laude and those above 3.90 are summa cum laude.
Those honor graduates, their degrees and their hometowns are as follows:
November 29, 2006
in National Finals Rodeo through Dec. 9 Four former members of the Ranger rodeo team at Northwestern Oklahoma State University will be competing in the Professional Cowboys Rodeo Association’s National Finals Rodeo (NFR) in Las Vegas beginning Thursday night.
They are Stockton Graves, Newkirk; Shannon Frascht, Alva; Nick Sartain, Yukon; and Jhett Johnson, Casper, Wyo.
The NFR features the top 15 money earners in each event in a 10-day competition that ends Saturday, Dec. 9. Standings are determined by how much money each cowboy wins during the year in each event in some 700 PRCA rodeos in 41 states and four Canadian provinces.
now doubles with holiday program Dec. 11
Northwestern Oklahoma State University’s “Grand Fifties” alumni event scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 30, in Enid has been postponed because of the threat of inclement winter weather.
The 1950s-themed show has been rescheduled for Monday, Dec. 11, in the commons area of the Northwestern-Enid campus. Doors will open at 6 p.m. with dinner following at 6:30 p.m. The performance will begin at 7 p.m. Read more...
Members of Coronado Hall are selling a limited number of tickets for a chance to win a 60 GB Playstation 3. Tickets are $10 each and will be sold until 8 p.m. Sunday. They are available from any Coronado Hall resident assistant or by contacting head resident Monica Park. Those interested also can stop by the Hall to buy tickets at the front desk. The drawing will take place at 8:30 p.m. Sunday during the Hall's Christmas party. Monies raised from the sale of tickets will benefit local Christmas charities such as the Angel Tree, Toys for Tots and local families in need.
On the Record @ Northwestern consists of press releases and photographs generated and issued to media outlets on- and off-campus by the University Relations Office, as well as other information provided by university employees and students, as a service to the Northwestern community, its friends and supporters.
Return to 2006-07 Newsletter Archive
Northwestern Oklahoma State University
Steve Valencia, Director
Office of University Relations
709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717
Phone: (580) 327-8478 Fax: (580) 327-8660
Copyright © 2003-2006
Northwestern Oklahoma State University.
All Rights Reserved.